Established in 1993 by decision of the Bishops’ Conference of the Catholic Church in Bulgaria Caritas Bulgaria is a federation of independent diocesan Catholic organizations:Caritas Vitania, Caritas Ruse and Caritas Sofia. The goal of Caritas Bulgaria is to support those in need for building a humane society. As a result, Caritas Bulgaria supports its member organizations in carrying out social activities through their local structures.
Caritas Bulgaria is registered as a non-profit organization for public benefit activities and along with 165 organizations it is a member of the global family of Caritas Internationalis, a Catholic Church confederation of charitable organizations.
Caritas Bulgaria finds support in the Gospel and the Catholic Church social teaching and follows the principles of:
- Inviolability of human dignity, regardless of racial, ethnic, religious, gender and political affiliation;
- Solidarity whereby personal interest subsides to the community interest;
- Involving those in need into social activities and encouraging them to take responsibility to help themselves;
- Reconciliation and dialogue are the best means of resolving conflicts.
In order to build a fairer society, Caritas Bulgaria:
- Assists members in need through its organizations and their local structures;
- Provides information to its member organizations for more effective social activity;
- Encourages dialogue, cooperation, coordination and exchange of experience between its member organizations;
- Supports its member organizations in building their capacity;
- Represents its member organizations and protects their interests at national and international level;
- Collaborates with other related organizations with a focus on ecumenism;
- Lobbies to the state and external donors.